Europe

Munich: Terror attack shooter was 18-year-old Muslim with German-Iranian Citizenship


  • A number of people have been killed and another 21 people are injured after gunmen went on a shooting rampage
  • Police operation is ongoing in Munich, with the force warning people to stay in their homes and avoid public spaces
  • Terrified shoppers were seen running for their lives from the Olympia Shopping Centre after hearing gunshots 
  • Witnesses said that the shopping centre gunman screamed ‘I’m German’ and ‘Allahu Akbar’ before shooting
  • Shooter reportedly fled after his shooting spree on the city underground network, which has now been shut down
  • His body was found half a mile from the scene. Police believe he acted alone after initially looking for three gunmen
  • He has now been identified as an 18-year-old Iranian, who has been living in Munich for more than two years

A gunman shouting ‘Allahu Akbar’ opened fire at children in McDonald’s before rampaging through a shopping mall, killing at least nine people.

Munich is in lockdown, as a major police operation is ongoing around the city’s Olympic Park, with the force warning people to stay in their homes and avoid public spaces.

The gunman’s body has been found half a mile from the scene after he reportedly turned the gun on himself. Police now believe he may have acted alone, after they initially went in search of three gunmen.

The shooter has now been identified as an 18-year-old Iranian, who has been living in Munich for more than two years.

At a press conference at 2.30am local time, Munich Police President Hubertus Andra confirmed the killer was armed with a handgun.

A total of 21 people were taken to hospital as a result of the incident – three are fighting for their lives in critical condition and 13 are still receiving medical treatment.

Terrified shoppers were seen running for their lives from the Munich Olympia Shopping Centre, in the district of Moosach, after hearing gunshots.

Witnesses said that the gunman screamed ‘I’m German’ and ‘Allahu Akbar’ before shooting at children.

Munic attack

A woman named Loretta said she was in the McDonald’s when the man with a gun came out of a bathroom and began shooting.

She told CNN: ‘I come out of the toilet and I hear like an alarm, boom, boom, boom. He’s killing the children. The children were sitting to eat. They can’t run.’

Loretta said she had been in the bathroom at the same time as the shooter, with her eight-year-old son. She said the man yelled: ‘Allahu Akbar!’

A huge manhunt was launched across the city, including snipers in helicopters. Last night, police said they believed there could have been up to three gunmen who were on the loose. They issued a warning to people, saying: ‘There are shooters on the run who are dangerous.’

Murat T described seeing ‘lifeless bodies’ in the restaurant when he went to look for his son Orhan’s friend.

Orhan said he heard gunshots while on the phone to his friend, before the call cut out. He said: ‘We no longer reach him. Not even his parents. He is like my brother.’
A video purporting to show the shooter, dressed in black, firing 20 shots has been posted on Twitter. The footage shows him outside the McDonald’s directly outside the shopping centre.

In unverified footage, a man with dark hair, wearing a black t-shirt and denim trousers, appears to take aim at people, including children, outside the McDonald’s restaurant near the Olympia-Einkaufszentrum metro station.

Olympia mall in Munich,
People leave the Olympia mall in Munich, southern Germany, Friday, July 22, 2016 after several people have been killed in a shooting

He raises his arms, apparently holding a shotgun, and appears to fire at people outside the restaurant, who can be seen running for cover.

The sound of multiple shots being fired can be heard as shoppers and passers-by run for cover. People were seen fleeing from the building in another video posted on social media.

In another video on social media a man can be heard yelling at suspect in the car park that he is a ‘w*****’ and an ‘a******e.’ And he yelled: ‘Put your gun down.’

The gunman, when he walks across the roof of the car park, shouts out: ‘I am a German!’

The man who is abusing him then shouts out; ‘You are a w*****!’ The gunman tells him to ‘shut your trap.’ Then he fires more shots and the rest of what is said is unintelligible.

The area around the Munich Olympia Shopping Centre, in the district of Moosach, has been sealed off as emergency services try to control the situation. Snipers in helicopters are circling the city from above, according to Bild.

An electrical shop next to the shopping centre is being used as a makeshift hospital to treat the casualties.

Off-duty doctors and nurses have been summoned to hospitals in Munich, with a hospital spokesperson telling DPA: ‘The alarm for a ‘mass attack’ has been triggered.’

A second shooting was said to have taken place near Marienplatz subway station, which is just four miles from the Olympic Park area. But police could not confirm that was the case
A second shooting was said to have taken place near Marienplatz subway station, which is just four miles from the Olympic Park area. But police could not confirm that was the case

Police have confirmed that there at least nine deaths, excluding the killer, as a result of the incident and German media have reported there may be up to 15 killed.

Before the gunman was found dead, Chief of Munich Police Marcus Dagloria Martins, said last night: ‘We are at the moment after three attackers. We have about 100 people on site and we are trying to evacuate people from the site. Our priority is to catch the attackers at this stage and then we will inform you again.

‘We were first alerted when somebody entered the shopping centre with a weapon and we rushed to the scene. We are doing what we can. The emergency calls that an armed man was on site. All emergency services at scene are for Munich but we are also looking at back up from the region.

‘What can I say about the attackers is that up to now there are three that we know of and that is all the information I can tell you at the moment regarding the shooters.

‘They used a short handgun or a pistol of some sort, that is what I can tell you.

‘We closed down not only that area but the surrounding area. I’m hoping you will share all your information and videos with us as this will give us clues and help us track down the shooters. We are asking people to send in their videos.

‘Our main priority is the security of the population. This is my first time in such a situation.

‘We cant tell more about the situation. All I can tell you is what I’ve told you so far. We will update you as soon as we can.

‘There are a lot of rumours flying around at the moment and all I am saying to you is what I can tell you for sure. We are telling the people of Munich that there are shooters on the run who are dangerous. It is too early for me to make any other comments on the shooters at this stage.

munic attack

‘This is the biggest police operation in the last 10 years that we’ve had to deal with. You must trust your local police. The Munich police is very well trained.

‘Firearms are a huge problem in this particular incident. We urge people to stay indoors and help us with our work and I’m calling on media to help us carry out our jobs.

‘We’ve managed to evacuate people from inside and hopefully brought everyone to safety. There are people who have been traumatised by this and I can tell you they are in the double figures.

‘We have to treat this as some form of a terror attack as it is an attack with weapons but as to what is behind this we don’t know yet.

We are also watching these videos people have been showing but you must give me time to analyse these properly.’

Last night, Munich police tweeted: ‘We currently do not know where to find the perpetrators. Watch yourself and avoid to be the public’.

Despite reports on social media, Munich Fire Department said it was not aware of a separate shooting at the city’s Stachus central square

Munich Police said in a statement: ‘At around 5.50pm (local time) today there were witnesses who called the police and said there was a shooting at the Hanauer Street.

‘The shooting moved from that street to the shopping centre. The witnesses said there were three different people with weapons.

‘At the moment no culprit has been arrested. The search is taking place at high speed.’

Police officers guard with guns as other officers escort people from inside the shopping centre as they respond to a shooting at the Olympic shopping mall
Police officers guard with guns as other officers escort people from inside the shopping centre as they respond to a shooting at the Olympic shopping mall

A police reporter for Bavarian Radio said police were moving people off the streets in central Munich as they search for the perpetrators.

‘All of the police forces are at the shopping centre and at the official places in Munich as well and they’re calling out that nobody’s allowed to go to the official places,’ the reporter, Lena Deutch, told the BBC.

‘They are trying to close everything down because we do not know where this person who’s been doing the shooting is at the moment.’

It is reported that at least one of the gunman fled after his shooting spree on the city underground network, which has now been shut down. The country’s train operator confirmed the main station had been evacuated.

Photos flashed on to social media sites of at least one body covered by aluminium sheets.

‘Stay in your homes. Leave the road!’ Polizei München said in a tweet.

A spokesman for the German police said there was a ‘shooting spree’. An official at the Munich Olympia Shopping Centre declined comment, saying only, ‘We are experiencing a problem.’

The shopping centre is next to the Munich Olympic stadium, where the Palestinian militant group Black September took 11 Israeli athletes hostage and eventually killed them during the 1972 Olympic Games.

Thamina Stoll, a university student in Munich, tweeted video of the scene showing people running.

‘Helicopter, sirens and people on the street #Munich #shooting #OEZ #München,’ she said.

‘At least 30 police cars on their way to #Munich #shoppingmall according to local radio station. Area around mall blocked by police.’

British nationals in Germany are being advised to comply with instructions from local authorities.

German police secure the entrance to a subway station near a shopping mall where a shooting took place in Munich
German police secure the entrance to a subway station near a shopping mall where a shooting took place in Munich

A Foreign Office spokesman said: ‘We are urgently investigating an incident in Munich and stand ready to provide assistance to British Nationals.’
UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson tweeted: ‘Deeply shocked & saddened by #Munich shootings. My thoughts are w/ the victims, their loved ones & all #Germany at this time.’

US President Barack Obama pledged support to Germany in the wake of the deadly shooting rampage, as officials said they were working to determine if any American citizens were affected.

Obama, speaking at a meeting with law enforcement officials, said: ‘Our hearts go out to those who may have been injured. It’s still an active situation, and Germany’s one of our closest allies, so we are going to pledge all the support that they may need in dealing with these circumstances.’

At the State Department, spokeswoman Elizabeth Trudeau said US officials were working with local authorities to determine if any US citizens were affected by the incident.

The shooting comes just days after a teenage asylum seeker went on the rampage with an axe and a knife on a regional train in Germany, injuring nine people.

Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said the teenager was believed to be a ‘lone wolf’ attacker who appeared to have been ‘inspired’ by the Islamic State group but was not a member of the jihadist network.

But the shootings come just days after a teenage asylum seeker went on a rampage with an axe and a knife on a regional train in Germany on Monday, injuring nine people, two of them critically.

One victim is still fighting for his life, the hospital treating him said today.

Police officers respond to a shooting at the Olympia Einkaufzentrum (OEZ) at July 22, 2016 in Munich, Germany
Police officers respond to a shooting at the Olympia Einkaufzentrum (OEZ) at July 22, 2016 in Munich, Germany

Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said the teenager was believed to be a ‘lone wolf’ attacker who appeared to have been ‘inspired’ by the Islamic State group but was not a member of the jihadist network.

Authorities said he shouted ‘Allahu akbar’ (God is greatest) three times as he ran through the carriage slashing passengers on the train near the southern city of Wuerzburg.

The attacker is believed to be either Afghan or Pakistani and investigators are still trying to determine his identity.

The train rampage triggered calls by politicians in Bavaria, of which Munich is the capital, to impose an upper limit on the number of refugees coming into the country.

The assailant had arrived as an unaccompanied minor in Germany in June 2015 and had been staying with a foster family in the region of the attack for the last two weeks.

(Source : DailyMail)

1 Comment

Click here to post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow us on Social…

Subscribe to Latest News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new news by email.

Join 10,019 other subscribers

Read previous post:
Germany-Shooting-at-Munich-shopping-mall,-multiple-casualties-reported
Germany : Shooting at Munich shopping mall, multiple casualties reported

India Zakir-Naik's-'aide'-arrested-in-Mumbai-for-trying-to-lure-Kerala-youth-to-join-Isis
India: Zakir Naik’s ‘aide’ arrested in Mumbai for trying to lure Kerala youth to join Isis

Riyadh-Saudi-Man-Faces-1,000-Lashes-for-Having-Sex-With-Vacuum-Cleaner
Riyadh: Saudi Man Faces 1,000 Lashes for Having Sex With Vacuum Cleaner

Close