Europe

Iraqi man removed from EasyJet flight after passenger reports seeing ‘Isis messages on his phone’

Iraqi-man-removed-from-EasyJet-flight-after-passenger-reports-seeing-'Isis-messages-on-his-phone'

An Iraqi man was prevented from taking his flight after a fellow passenger reported him over what she thought were “ISIS messages” on his mobile phone.

The woman alerted staff to her suspicions prior to the take off on the Easyjet flight from Vienna to London on Saturday.

The plane was delayed by three hours as the passengers were taken off the plane and further security measures were undertaken.

The flight departed without the man or the woman, who stayed in Austria to face further questioning.

The man was later released without charge.

“There was nothing suspicious found and he has been allowed to continue his journey,” Austrian interior ministry spokesman Karl-Heinz Grundboeck said.

“The only thing outstanding is a detailed analysis of his mobile phone.”

Easyjet has apologised for the delay but maintained that safety is the company’s first priority.

A spokeswoman told Mail Online: “EasyJet can confirm that flight EZY5352 from Vienna to London Gatwick was delayed due to additional security checks before departure.

“The safety and security of its passengers and crew is our highest priority.

“We apologise for the delay and any inconvenience caused as a result.”

Travel in Europe has become particularly tense following the Brussels attacks last week.

Security has been increased throughout the continent after the bombings which killed 31 people and injured scores more.

It is not the first time Muslims or people of Middle Eastern appearance have been faced troubles while flying.

In January, four men alleged they were ejected from an American Airlines flight because their looks made other passengers “uneasy”.

Follow us on Social…

Subscribe to Latest News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new news by email.

Join 63 other subscribers

Read previous post:
3-Sikh-soldiers-file-lawsuit-against-US-defence-dept
3 Sikh soldiers file lawsuit against US defence department

How ISIS grew stronger under Europe's gaze
How ISIS grew stronger under Europe’s gaze

Mumbai-triple-blasts-case
Mumbai triple blasts case : 10 found guilty, 3 acquitted

Close